With over 200 recorded species, this forest reserve and adjacent shade-grown coffee plantations offer abundant birdlife that is easy to spot with the naked eye, making it a prime site for nature photography.
Difficulty: There are a variety of walkable pathways to choose from and farms that can be visited without major walking challenges. The average altitude is 1600 to 1800 m.a.s.l
Duration: The total tour time is 10 hours from start to finish with 5 hours of birdwatching time.
Location: Located about 2.5 hours south-west of Bogotá near the town of Tibacuy.
Weather: This sub-tropical forest is very green and lush but can also go months without major rainfall. Daytime temperatures can reach 28ºC, but in average is closer to 22ºC. Only about 10% of the time we experience light rain.
Includes: Price includes private 4x4 transport, all entrances, access to identification materials & a bilingual guide.
* Hotel pick-up (most locations) is included due to the early departure time. Drop-off for this tour is at Pan Pa Ya in Chapinero (Calle 58 # 6-22).
For more information on the drop-off location you can follow this link to our website.
Things to Bring:
- Rain jacket is recommended
- Comfortable non-slip shoes
- Sun protection, cap or hat
Species: Turquoise dacnis (E), Velvet-fronted euphonia (E), Colombian chachalaca (E), Indigo-capped Hummingbird (E), Scrub tanager (NE), Bar-crested Antshrike (NE), Crimson-backed tanager, Tropical mockingbird, Blue-necked tanager, Saffron finch, Palm tanager, Blue-gray tanager, Red-crowned woodpecker, Thick-billed euphonia, Bay-headed tanager, Orange-chinned parakeet, Spectacled parrotlet, House wren, Black phoebe, Great kiskadee, Ruddy ground-dove, Smooth-billed ani, White-vented plumeleteer, Yellow-headed caracara, Streaked saltator, Rufous-tailed Hummingbird, Ringed Kingfisher, Bare-faced Ibis, Yellow-bellied Seedeater, Yellow-faced Grassquit
CLICK HERE to see some photos taken during this tour
- Hotel pick-up (most locations) at 5:00am
- Drive through working-class neighborhoods in the south of the city (1.5 hrs)
- Stop along the roadside at an egret nesting site for birdwatching (30 minutes)
- Breakfast time in the town of Tibacuy (not included in price)
- Drive to the farms along narrow country roads (30 min)
- Visit to Finca 'El Triunfo' for birdwatching at the feeders and around the farm (1 hour)
- Birdwatching trail through the lower forest reserve and adjacent farms (2.5 hours)
- Drive back to Bogotá (2.5 hrs)
- Arrival is to Pan Pa Ya in Chapinero before 3.00pm. Hotel drop-off can be arranged at an extra cost (please email us for more details).
* A 2-day itinerary is available for this tour. Contact us for more information.