Pay a visit to one of the most iconic and beautiful cloud forests near Bogotá, home to +300 species of birds including colorful tanagers, powerful hummingbirds and staggering toucanets.
Difficulty: The terrain is mostly made of stone pathways that can be slippery when wet, and often involve steep inclines. We are, however, able to adapt the tour for non-hikers by arranging 4x4 transportation within the park.
Duration: The total tour time is 9 hours from start to finish with 5 hours of birdwatching time.
Location: Located about 1 hour south-west of Bogotá with an elevation range from 2300 to 2600 m.a.s.l.
Weather: Temperatures are between 10ºC and 15ºC. About 30% of the time we experience light rain and about 10% of the time we see heavy rain.
Includes: Price includes private transportation, park entrances, transport by jeep from the lodge back up to the entrance, access to identification materials & a bilingual guide. Lunch is not included but are available for purchase at the park. Pick-up and drop-off for this tour is at the Pan Pa Ya in Chapinero (Calle 58 # 6-22). For more information on the departure point you can follow this link to our website.
*If you prefer to take transport down-hill instead of doing the hike, please select the transport option at the time of booking.
**If you are interested in an overnight tour to the park you can request more information via email.
Things to Bring:
- Rain jacket, water proof poncho or an umbrella
- Comfortable non-slip hiking boots
- Binoculars and/or camera
- Sun protection, cap or hat
Species: Black inca (E), Indigo-capped hummingbird (E), Golden-bellied starfrontlet (NE), Rufous-browed conebill (NE), Scrub tanager (NE), Red-billed emerald (NE), Andean Guan, Emerald toucanet, Flame-faced tanager, Beryl-spangled tanager, Ash-browed spinetail, Three-striped warbler, Slate-throated whitestart, Collared inca, Glowing puffleg, Andean solitaire, Masked flowerpiercer, Chestnut-crowned antpitta (heard), Summer tanager (migratory), Cinnamon flycatcher, Pale-naped brush-finch, Blue-and-black Tanager, Squirrel Cuckoo, Metallic-green Tanager, Common Chlorospingus, Acorn Woodpecker, Montane Foliage-gleaner.
CLICK HERE to see some photos taken during this tour
- Chicaque Cloud Forest Reserve
- Departure from Pan Pa Ya (Calle 58 # 6-22) in Chapinero
- Drive to the reserve through the south of the city (1.5 hours).
- Spend time at the hummingbird feeders with the option to purchase breakfast at the restaurant.
- Birdwatching near the entrance.
- Hike down to the lodge (you can expect to be on the trail for 2 to 3 hours).
- Arrival to the lodge and time for lunch (not included).
- Transport via 4x4 back up to the entrance.
- Drive back to Pan Pa Ya in Chapinero.