Experience this high-altitude andean ecosystem filled with unique fauna and flora. A visit to a private nature reserve in the Páramo of Sumapaz will make you feel like you have stepped onto another planet.
Difficulty: The páramo trek is of HIGH DIFFICULTY. It is required that you and your party be in good physical condition due to the low air pressure present at high altittudes. The trails are also uneven, steep and muddy most of the year. The elevation gain for this trek is about 400 meters, starting at 3400 m.a.s.l. and reaching an elevation of 3800 m.a.s.l. Keep in mind that each hour you spend hiking at high altitudes is the equivalent effort of two hours at sea level.
Note: If you are interested in visiting the Páramos but aren't much of a hiker, we also offer a Chingaza Páramo Adventure tour.
Duration: The tour is approximately 8 hours total, from start to finish, with a hiking time between 3 and 4 hours. The speed of the trek will mostly depend on weather conditions.
Location: Sumapaz is located to the South of the city. The driving time is about 2 hours from the departure point with some 4x4 off roading. If you would like to learn more about the Páramo ecosystem CLICK HERE.
Weather: The average temperature in the páramo is 10ºC, but it can drop down to 5ºC very rapidly depending on cloud cover. You could also experience the full strength of the sun with temperatures close to 18ºC. The weather on the mountaintop is unpredictable, so you must be prepared for COLD temperatures, WIND and RAIN. We have rain boots in most sizes, scarfs and warm hats that you can borrow from us if you let us know ahead of time.
Includes: Tour price includes all entrances, private 4x4 transport, a bilingual guide and a local guide. Departure is from Pan Pa Ya in Chapinero (Calle 58 # 6-22). For further departure information you can follow this link to our website.
Things to Bring:
- Rain gear is necessary like waterproof jacket, umbrella or rain poncho
- Hiking boots or rain boots (open-toed shoes are not allowed)
- Warm clothing (scarfs, woolen hats, gloves, jackets, sweaters)
- Long pants (we strongly discourage the use of shorts)
- Snacks or a bit of money to buy local food on the road
CLICK HERE to see some photos taken during this tour
- Sumapaz Private Reseve
- Departure from Pan Pa Ya in Chapinero (Calle 58 # 6-22)
- Drive through southern neighborhoods (1 hr)
- Drive to the start of the trail along rural roads (1 hr)
- Arepa tasting at a local farm
- Hike up and down through the Páramo of Sumapaz (3 to 4 hours)
- Stop by a countryside store to purchase warm drinks
- Drive back to Bogotá (2 hrs)
- Arrival is to Pan Pa Ya in Chapinero