Description: Experience this high-altitude ecosystem at 3800 meters of altitude filled with unique fauna and flora found nowhere else outside the Andes. A visit to a private reserve in the Páramo of Sumapaz will make you feel like you have stepped onto another planet.
Difficulty: This trek is of high difficulty. It is required that you be in good physical condition due to the low air pressure present above 3500 m.a.s.l. The trails are uneven, steep and muddy most of the time. The elevation gain for this trek is about 400 mts, starting at 3400 meters. Keep in mind that each hour you spend hiking at high altitudes is the equivalent effort of two hours at sea level.
Note: If you are interested in visiting the Páramos but aren't much of a hiker, we also offer a car-based Chingaza Páramo Adventure.
Accessibility: Anybody between the ages of 12 to 70 years-old can join. We are happy to arrange a customized hike should you have a visual or hearing impairment.
Duration: The tour is approximately 8 hours total, from start to finish, with a hiking time of 3 to 4 hours. The speed of the trek will mostly depend on weather conditions.
Departure: This tour departs from our meeting point at Movistar Arena (former Coliseo El Campin). We offer door to door pick-up & drop-off at an extra cost.
Location: Sumapaz is located to the South of the city. The driving time is about 2 hours from the departure point with some 4x4 off roading. If you would like to learn more about the Páramo ecosystem CLICK HERE.
Weather: The average temperature in the páramo is 10ºC, but it can drop down to 5ºC rapidly depending on cloud cover. You could also experience the full strength of the sun with temperatures over 18ºC. The weather on the mountaintop is unpredictable, you must be prepared for cold temperatures, wind and rain. We have rain boots in most sizes, scarfs and warm hats that you can borrow from us if you let us know ahead of time.
Covid-19: Sumapaz has had very low exposure to Covid-19 so we ask all visitors to follow strict safety protocols. We are expected to wear masks at all times, both inside and outside the vehicle. We will also desinfect hands and shoes with alcohol at every stop.
Includes: Private 4x4 transport from Bogotá, a local snack, entrances and a local spanish speaking guide.
- Door to door pick-up & drop-off (depending on location)
- Bilingual guide in English, Portuguese, French or German (pending availability)
- A picnic vegetarian sandwich.
Things to Bring:
- Rain gear is necessary (waterproof jacket, umbrella or rain poncho)
- Hiking boots are recommended (open-toed shoes are not allowed)
- Warm clothing (scarfs, woolen hats, gloves, jackets, sweaters)
- Long pants (we strongly discourage the use of shorts)
- Snacks and hydration
CLICK HERE to see some photos taken during this tour
- Sumapaz Private Reseve
- Departure from Hotel or AirBnB
- Drive through traditional working class neighborhoods in the south (2 hours)
- Hike up and down through the Páramo of Sumapaz (3 to 4 hours)
- Arepa and fresh milk tasting at a local farm
- Drive back to departure point (2 hrs)