Experience this high-altitude andean ecosystem filled with unique fauna and flora. A visit to a private nature reserve in the Páramo of Sumapaz will make you feel like you have stepped onto another planet.
Difficulty: The páramo trek is of HIGH DIFFICULTY. We require that you and your party be in good physical condition due to the low oxygen present at high mountaintops. The trails are also uneven, steep and muddy most of the year. The elevation gain for this trek is about 400 meters, starting at 3400 m.a.s.l. and reaching a maximum height of 3800 m.a.s.l. Keep in mind that each hour you spend hiking at high altitudes is the equivalent effort of two hours at sea level.
Note: If you are interested in visiting the mountaintops but aren't much of a hiker, we can offer other tour options on horseback or by car in alternative locations. Please email us for details.
Duration: The tour is approximately 8 hours total, from start to finish, with a hiking time between 3.5 and 4 hours. The speed of the trek will mostly depend on weather conditions.
Location: Sumapaz is located to the South of the city.The driving time is about 2 hours from the departure point with a significant amount of 4x4 off roading. If you would like to know more about the Páramo CLICK HERE.
Weather: The average temperature in the páramo is 7ºC, but it can drop down to 2°C very rapidly depending on cloud cover. You could also experience the full strength of the sun with temperatures reaching above 18°C (we never know). The weather on the mountaintop is unpredictable, so you must be prepared for COLD temperatures, WIND and RAIN. We have rain boots in most sizes, scarfs and warm hats that you can borrow from us if you let us know ahead of time.
Includes: Tour price includes all entrances, private 4x4 transport and a bilingual guide. Departure is from Pan Pa Ya in Chapinero (Calle 58 #6-22). For further departure information you can follow this link to our website.
Things to Bring:
- Rain gear (waterproof jacket, umbrella or rain poncho)
- Hiking boots or rain boots (open-toed shoes are not allowed)
- Warm clothing (scarfs, woolen hats, gloves, jackets, sweaters)
- Long pants (we strongly discourage the use of shorts)
- Snacks or a bit of money to buy local food on the way back from the mountain
CLICK HERE for photos of Sumapaz
- Sumapaz Private Reseve
- Departure from Pan Pa Ya in Chapinero
- Drive through traditional working-class neighborhoods in the south of the city (1 hr)
- Drive to start of the trail along rural roads (1 hr)
- 3.5 to 4 hour hike through the páramo
- Stop by a countryside store with an option to purchase hot drinks
- Drive back to Bogotá (2 hrs)
- Arrival is to Pan Pa Ya in Chapinero