Description: Ride your horse around the San Rafael dam up into the high Andes mountains of La Calera. Enjoy a fun ride with spectacular views and lush sub-páramo forest vegetation.
Difficulty: This trail, suitable for all levels of experience, is 2-hours long along a narrow, cobblestone pathway that crosses the mountains through a majestic andean forest. You will gain about 100 meters of altitude during the ride and overcome a few minor boulders while on the horse.
Note: Riding times are calculated at a horse's walking speed. Trotting with your horse will cut the riding time.
Accessibility: Anybody between the ages of 5 to 70 years-old can join. We are happy to arrange a customized ride should you have limited mobility or visual/hearing impairment.
Duration: The total tour time is 5 hours with 2 hours of horseback riding.
Departure: This tour departs from our meeting point at Movistar Arena (former Coliseo El Campin). We offer door to door pick-up & drop-off at an extra cost.
Location: La Calera is a town located about 1 hour from Bogotá across the eastern Andes mountains.
Elevation: Maximum altitude on the trail is 2800 m.a.s.l.
Weather: The average temperature in La Calera is similar to Bogotá's (about 15ºC). We experience light rain 20% of the time and heavy rain about 10% of the time. We suggest wearing long pants and a rain jacket. Wettest months are Abril-May and October-November.
Covid-19: La Calera has had low exposure to Covid-19 so we ask all visitors to follow strict safety protocols. We are expected to wear masks at all times, both inside and outside the vehicle. We will also desinfect hands and shoes with alcohol at every stop.
Includes: Private 4x4 transport from Bogotá, a helmet, horse rental, a local snack, accident insurance and a local spanish speaking guide.
- Door to door pick-up & drop-off (depending on location)
- Bilingual guide in English, Italian (pending availability)
Things to Bring:
- Sun protection (hat or head cap)
- Narrow closed toed shoes (hiking boots are too wide to fit on stirrup)
- Long pants or jeans (no shorts allowed)
- A rain jacket or a warm sweater
CLICK HERE to see some photos taken during this tour
- La Calera
- Departure from Bogotá
- Drive up through the eastern mountains to La Calera (1 hour)
- Meet your local guide and set up for the ride
- Horseback riding through scenic mountain trails (2 hours)
- Try home made arepas (flatbread of ground maize dough and cheese) with sugarcane juice
- Drive back to Bogotá (1 hour)