Ride your horse around the San Rafael dam up into the high mountains of La Calera. Enjoy a fun ride with spectacular views and andean forest vegetation.
Difficulty: This trail is 2 hours long and is suitable for all levels of experience as long as you feel comfortable sitting on a horse. The majority of the trail is along a narrow, cobblestone pathway that crosses the mountains through sub-páramo forest. You are expected to gain about 100 meters of altitude during the ride and overcome a few minor boulders.
Note: Riding times are calculated at a horse's walking speed. If you trot with your horse, you will cut the riding time significantly.
Duration: The total tour time is 5 hours with 2 hours of horseback riding.
Location: La Calera is a town located about 1 hour from Bogotá across the Eastern mountains.
Weather: The average temperature in La Calera is similar to Bogotá´s (about 15ºC). We experience light rain 20% of the time and heavy rain only about 10% of the time. We suggest wearing jeans or long pants as well as a sweater or jacket.
Includes: Tour price includes transport, a helmet, insurance and a horse rental with a local guide. Departure is from Pan Pa Ya in Chapinero (Calle 58 #6-22). For more information on departure you can follow this link to our website.
Things to Bring:
- Sun protection like a hat or head cap
- Narrow boots or closed toed shoes (hiking boots are not ideal for riding horses)
- Long pants or jeans (no shorts allowed)
- Rain jacket and a warm sweater
- Money to purchase local snacks like arepas
CLICK HERE to see some photos taken during this tour
- La Calera
- Departure from Pan Pa Ya in Chapinero (Calle 58 # 6-22) (morning or afternoon)
- Drive up through the eastern mountains to La Calera (1 hour)
- Meet local guide and set up for ride
- 2 hours of horseback riding through scenic mountain trails
- Try local arepas (a type of flatbread consisting of ground maize dough and cheese)
- Drive back to Bogotá (1 hour)
- Arrival is back to Pan Pa Ya in Chapinero