Description: Ride your horse around the San Rafael dam up into the high Andes mountains of La Calera. Enjoy a fun ride with spectacular views and lush sub-páramo forest vegetation.
Availability: During the month of June, July and August trails tend to sell out completely. Please email us or WhatsApp us to verify availability before you make your tour purchase ;)
Difficulty: This trail, suitable for all levels of experience is 2-hours long, along dirt roads and cobblestone pathways that go up the mountains through a majestic Andean forest.
Note: Riding times are calculated at a horse's walking speed. Trotting with your horse will cut the riding time.
Accessibility: Anybody between the ages of 5 to 70 years-old can join. We are happy to arrange a customized ride should you have limited mobility or visual/hearing impairment.
Duration: The total tour time is 6 hours with 2 hours of horseback riding.
Departure: This tour departs from our meeting point at Movistar Arena (former Coliseo El Campin). We offer door to door pick-up & drop-off at an extra cost.
Location: La Calera is a town located about 1.5 hours from Bogotá across the eastern Andes mountains.
Elevation: Maximum altitude on the trail is 2800 m.a.s.l.
Weather: The average temperature in La Calera is similar to Bogotá's (about 15ºC). We experience light rain 20% of the time and heavy rain about 10% of the time. We suggest wearing long pants and a rain jacket. Wettest months are Abril-May and October-November.
Covid-19: La Calera has had low exposure to Covid-19 so we ask all visitors to follow strict safety protocols. We are expected to wear masks inside the vehicle. We will also desinfect hands and shoes at every stop.
Includes: Private transport from Bogotá, a helmet, horse rental, a local snack, accident insurance and a local spanish-speaking guide.
- Door to door pick-up & drop-off (depending on location)
- Bilingual guide in English, Italian and French (pending availability)
Things to Bring:
- Sun protection (hat or head cap)
- Narrow closed toed shoes (hiking boots are too wide to fit on stirrup)
- Long pants or jeans (no shorts allowed)
- A rain jacket or a warm sweater
CLICK HERE to see some photos taken during this tour
- La Calera
- Departure from Bogotá
- Drive up through the eastern mountains to La Calera (1.5 hour)
- Meet your local guide and set up for the ride
- Horseback riding through scenic mountain trails (2 hours)
- Try home made arepas (flatbread of ground maize dough and cheese) with sugarcane juice
- Drive back to Bogotá (1.5 hour)