Description: Get the most out of your visit to Colombia with this two-in-one combo farm tour! Share with real coffee & cocoa farmers as you pick, peel, grind, roast and taste the product of your own labor. This is a hands-on experience sharing the day with real, working, small cocoa & coffee farmers.
Difficulty: The farms are accesible to everyone on foot and partially by wheelchair. Some of the roads are only accessible with a 4x4 vehicle.
Accessibility: This tour is for all ages. It is also available should you have limited mobility or a visual/hearing impairment.
Duration: This tour departs early in the morning from Bogotá and lasts 11 hours from start to finish with 6 hours spent at points of interest.
Departure: This tour departs from our meeting point at Movistar Arena (former Coliseo El Campin). We offer door to door pick-up & drop-off at an extra cost.
Location: This tour takes you to the coffee & cacao lands surrounding Bogotá in the nearby towns of Silvania and Nilo. The coffee farm is located about 2 hours from the city and the cocoa farm is 1.5 hours further.
Elevation: The coffee farm sits at 1800 m.a.s.l while the cocoa farm is found at 1000 m.a.s.l. along the steep hills of the Andes mountains. Amazing views await!
Weather: Sunny days with average temperatures of 24ºC - 28ºC. We experience rain less than 10% of the time.
Covid-19: The coffee and cocoa farms have had very low exposure to Covid-19 so the locals ask all visitors to follow strict safety protocols. We are expected to wear masks at all times, both inside and outside the vehicle. We will also disinfect our hands and shoes with alcohol at every stop.
Includes: Private 4x4 transport from Bogotá, a vegetarian local lunch, spanish speaking guide, entrances to all the farms and a guided visit to Silvania coffee town.
- Door to door pick-up & drop-off (depending on location)
- Bilingual guide in English, Portuguese, French or German (pending availability)
Note: minors under 2 that are held by an adult in the vehicle do not have to pay
Things to Bring:
- Sun protection (hat or head cap)
- Comfortable closed-toed shoes (sandals and open-toed shoes are not recommended for walking through the farm fields)
- Cash to purchase coffee/chocolate (no credit cards available)
- Departure from Bogotá and drive through traditional working class neighborhoods in the South (2 hours)
- Visit the coffee town of Silvania and learn about it's untold history (30 min)
- Participate in the traditional production of coffee from start to finish (picking, grinding and tasting) (1 hour)
- Drive through scenic countryside andean roads (45 min)
- Local lunch within a nature reserve (30 minutes)
- Drive to the cacao farm through 4x4 roads (45 min)
- Tour a working cocoa farm and learn about what it takes to make the raw material for chocolate (1 hour)
- Drive back to Bogotá (3 hrs)