The three andean lagoons that make up the Siecha Lakes of Chingaza allows you to experience this high altittude ecosystem at 3800 m.a.s.l. filled with unique flandscapes and flora. A visit to Chingaza National Park will make you feel like you have stepped onto another planet.
Difficulty: This trek is of high difficulty. It is required that you be in good physical condition due to the low air pressure present above 3000 m.a.s.l. The trails are uneven, steep and muddy most of the year. The elevation gain for this trek is about 400 meters, starting at 3400 m.a.s.l. and reaching 3800 m.a.s.l. Keep in mind that each hour you spend hiking at high altitudes is the equivalent effort of two hours at sea level.
Note: If you are interested in visiting the Páramos but aren't much of a hiker, we also offer a car-based Chingaza Páramo Adventure.
Accessibility: Anybody between the ages of 7 to 75 years-old can join. We are happy to arrange a customized hike should you have a visual or hearing impairment.
Duration: The tour is approximately 8 hours total, from start to finish, with a hiking time of approximately 4 hours. The speed of the trek will mostly depend on weather conditions.
Location: Chingaza National Park is located to the North East of Bogotá approximately 2 hours from our meeting point in Bogotá. If you would like to learn more about the Páramo ecosystem CLICK HERE.
Weather: The average temperature in the páramo is 10ºC, but it can drop down to 5ºC rapidly depending on cloud cover. You could also experience the full strength of the sun with temperatures near 18ºC. The weather on the mountaintop is unpredictable, you must be prepared for cold temperatures, wind and rain. We have rain boots in most sizes, scarfs and warm hats that you can borrow from us if you let us know ahead of time.
Includes: Tour price includes all entrances, mandatory insurance, private 4x4 transport and a bilingual guide. Departure is from Pan Pa Ya in Chapinero (Calle 58 # 6-22). For further departure information you can follow this link to our website.
Things to Bring:
- Rain gear is necessary (waterproof jacket, umbrella or rain poncho)
- Hiking boots or rain boots (open-toed shoes are not allowed)
- Warm clothing (scarfs, woolen hats, gloves, jackets, sweaters)
- Long pants (we strongly discourage the use of shorts)
- Snacks or a bit of money to buy local food on the road
CLICK HERE to see some photos taken during this tour
- Sumapaz Private Reseve
- Departure from Pan Pa Ya in Chapinero (Calle 58 # 6-22).
- Drive to the town of La Calera (1 hour) where we will make a quick stop to pick up local food and snacks
- Drive to park entrance along rural roads (1 hour)
- Registration and video by Park Rangers (10 minutes)
- Hike through the Siecha Lagoons (3.5 hours)
- Drive back to Bogotá (2 hrs)
- Arrival is to Pan Pa Ya in Chapinero (Calle 58 # 6-22)