Don't miss your chance at spotting unique Andean birdlife on this mountaintop tour. Above 3000 m.a.s.l., and alongside fields of frailejones plants, you will encounter endemic species found nowhere else.
Difficulty: This tour is accessible to anyone since most of the birdwatching is done along dirt roads. The páramos are found above 3,400 m.a.s.l. where the air is thin.
Duration: The total tour time is 9 hours from start to finish with 5 hours of birdwatching time.
Location: Located about 2 hours south of Bogotá with an elevation range from 3000 to 3700 m.a.s.l.
Weather: The average temperature in the páramo is 10ºC but it can drop to 4°C in an instant depending on cloud cover. Even in the comfort of a car, you must bring proper clothing to protect against rain and cold wind. We experience rain about 60% of the time and heavy rain about 30% of the time.
Includes: Tour price includes all entrances, private 4x4 transport, entrances, access to identification materials & a bilingual guide. Departure is at 5:00am from your hotel (most locations) and drop off is at Pan Pa Ya in Chapinero (Calle 58 # 6-22). For more information on the drop-off location you can follow this link to our website.
*Lunch is not included and should be brought with you.
Things to Bring:
- Rain gear (waterproof jacket, umbrella, poncho)
- Hiking boots, rain boots or waterproof walking shoes (open-toed shoes are not allowed)
- Warm clothing (scarfs, woolen hats, gloves, thick jackets, sweaters)
- Money for food/snacks
- Binoculars, scope and/or camera with long lens
- Sun protection, cap or hat
Green-bearded helmetcrest (E), Apolinar's wren (E), Bogotá rail (E), Silvery-throated spinetail (E), Bronze-tailed thornbill (NE), Rufous-browed conebill (NE), Pale-bellied tapaculo, Andean teal, Tawny Antpitta, Noble Snipe, Black-chested buzzard eagle, Chestnut-winged cinclodes, Brown-backed chat-tyrant, Tyrian Metaltail, Red-rumped bush-tyrant, Many-striped canastero, Ruddy duck, American coot, Yellowlegs, Blue-winged teal, Scarlet-bellied mountain-tanager, Glossy flowerpiercer, Pale-naped brush-finch, Andean siskin, Plumbeous sierra-finch.
CLICK HERE to see some photos taken during this tour
- Departure from your location at 5:00am
- Drive through the South of the city and along rural roads (2 hours)
- Birdwatching in the sub-páramo (2 hours)
- Roadside birdwatching in the páramo and alongside Andean lagoons (2 hours)
- Birdwatching near dam (1 hour)
- Drive back to Bogotá (2 hours)
- Arrival is to Pan Pa Ya in Chapinero before 2.00pm. Hotel drop-off can be arranged at an extra cost (please email us for more details).