This nature lovers paradise is a breath of fresh air...literally! Hike through lush forest in search of colorful tanagers, toucanets and sloths, take in spectacular views while watching the clouds roll in and out and spend the night sleeping in a wooden lodge or a treehouse. Wake up to the call of nature, explore the grandeur of an old oak forest and zipline over the forest canopy.
Location: Chicaque is a private nature reserve located to the south of Bogotá, approximately 1.5hrs drive from the city center. It sits at 2700 meters above sea level at the edge of the Bogotá savannah, however the lodge is at 2300 m.a.s.l. which means that the terrain is steep and downhill - perfect for a challenging hike.
Accommodation: This tour allows you to choose from a variety of accommodation including a treehouse, cabins and the lodge. The treehouse is in high demand, so it must be reserved several months ahead of time, but the lodge and the cabins are easier to get booked into.
- The treehouse is located 8 meters above the ground in an oak tree and has space for up to 3 adults and 1 child. It has one double bed and one single bed, including a wash basin and dry toilet at the top and a complete bathroom with hot water at the base of the tree. It also features a terrace.
- The cabins have space for a maximum 2 people. They have a double bed, bathroom with hot water, a mini-bar, fireplace and a terrace with a hammock.
- The lodge offers private rooms with bunkbeds for up to 10 people. All rooms are located on the 2nd floor and offer views of the forest. The bathroom has hot showers and is shared with other lodge guests.
Please note that ziplining and other optional activities like horseback riding are NOT included in the price.
Meals: All accommodation plans include 3 meals at the refuge restaurant (lunch and dinner on the first day and breakfast on the second day). Before we depart for the city on the second day, you will have time to stop for a snack at Arboloco restaurant (not included in the price). Vegetarian options are available at both restaurants.
Weather: Temperatures in the cloud forest range from 10 to 20ºC, with an average of 16ºC. When we start hiking the temperature will be cooler, but as we head down into the valley you will notice a slight rise. You can wear shorts or long trousers. Just make sure you bring a removable sweater or light jacket along.
Things to Bring:
- sun protection
- rain jacket
- hiking boots
- cash for additional meals/optional activities
- small overnight bag (you will be carrying it up and down the mountain so pack light). You won't be able to roll your suitcases along the trail.
- Chicaque Cloud Forest Reserve
After departure we travel approximately 1.5hrs to the reserve. When we arrive we will hike down into the valley and settle into the chosen accommodations, after which we will embark on a 3hr hike to the Eagle's viewpoint for a sunset view. The evening will be spent relaxing at the lodge.
After an early breakfast you can choose to either hike the oak forest trail to the waterfall or zip-line through the tree-top canopy (extra cost). We will then return to the lodge for lunch before hiking back up to the entrance.
PICK-UP AND DROP-OFF IS FROM THE PAN PA YA IN CHAPINERO