Experience the magic of the páramo ecosystem by car and on foot. Visit high-Andean cloud forest while looking for wildlife, marvel at waterfalls, deep lagoons and out-of-this-world landscapes.
* Please be aware that this is a nature trip. You will get more out of it if you come prepared with aids such as binoculars and/or a camera with a long lens.
Difficulty: Due to the low oxygen present above 3,500 m.a.s.l., we recommend spending at least one night in Bogotá or at similar altitude prior to joining this tour. Hiking is not mandatory for this tour and the trails are accesible for everyone.
Duration: The tour is approximately 9 hours in total, from start to finish, with an optional hiking time of 2 hours of accessible trails.
Location: Chingaza National Park is located to the North East of Bogotá. Driving time is approximately 2 hours from the city center with a significant amount of 4x4 off roading. CLICK HERE to read more about the páramo ecosystem.
Weather: The average temperature in the páramo is 10ºC but it can drop to 4°C in an instant depending on cloud cover. Even in the comfort of a car, you must bring proper clothing to protect against rain and cold wind. If you wish to take advantage of the hiking trails, proper hiking boots must be worn.
Includes: Tour price includes all entrances, private 4x4 transport, personal traveler's insurance and a bilingual guide. Departure is from Pan Pa Ya in Chapinero (Calle 58 # 6-22). For more information on departures you can follow this link to our website. If you are interested in an overnight tour to the park, you can read more about our multi-day option HERE.
Things to Bring:
- Rain gear (waterproof jacket, umbrella, poncho)
- Hiking boots, rain boots or waterproof walking shoes (open-toed shoes are not allowed)
- Warm clothing (scarfs, woolen hats, gloves, thick jackets, sweaters)
- Binoculars or camera with long lens.
- Money for food/snacks
Species of Interest: Spectacled bear, White-tailed Deer, Andean Condor, Flame-winged Parakeet (E), Bogota Rail (E), Green-bearded Helmetcrest (E), Blue-throated Starfrontlet (Ess), Pale-bellied Tapaculo (Ess), Bronze-tailed Thornbill (NE), Coppery-bellied Puffleg (NT), Glowing Puffleg, Pale-naped Brush Finch, Purple-backed Thornbill, Rufous Wren, Streak-throated Bush Tyrant, Scarlet-bellied Mountain Tanager, Sedge Wren, Black Flowerpiercer, Glossy Flowerpiercer, Buff-breasted Mountain Tanager, Black-crested Warbler, Rufous-browed Conebill, Pearled Treerunner, Brown-backed Chat Tyrant, White-throated Tyrannulet, Andean Guan, Black-chested Buzzard Eagle, Andean Teal, Band-tailed Nightjar.
CLICK HERE to see some photos taken during this tour
- Chingaza National Park
- Departure from Pan Pa Ya in Chapinero (Calle 58 # 6-22).
- Drive to the town of La Calera (1 hour) where we will make a quick stop for local food and to pick up snacks
- Drive to park entrance along rural roads (1 hour)
- Registration and video by Park Rangers (10 minutes)
- Drive through the reserve making strategic stops for wildlife viewing, landscapes and nature photography
- Optional hike through the páramo (1 hour)
- Optional hike through cloud forest with an overlook of the dam (1 hour)
- Drive back to Bogotá (3 hours)
- Arrival is back to Pan Pa Ya in Chapinero