If you are looking for something different, then this is your chance! Experience this high-altitude, andean ecosystem filled with unique fauna and flora. What you see here, will make you feel like you have stepped onto another planet.
Difficulty: Due to the low oxygen present above 3,500 m.a.s.l., we recommend spending at least one night in Bogotá or at similar altitude prior to joining this tour. Hiking is optional for this tour depending on the interests of the group.
Location: Chingaza National Park is located to the North East of Bogotá. Driving time is approximately 2 hours from the city center with a significant amount of 4x4 off roading. CLICK HERE to read more about the páramo ecosystem.
Weather: The average temperature in the páramo is 7ºC but it can drop to 2°C in an instant depending on cloud cover. Even in the comfort of a car, it is necessary that you bring proper clothing to protect against rain and cold wind. If you wish to take advantage of some of the hiking trails, proper hiking boots must be worn.
Includes: Tour price includes all entrances, private 4x4 transport, personal traveler's insurance and a bilingual guide. Please note that lunch is NOT included but available for purchase at the lodge (cash only). For more information on the departure point you can follow this link to our website. If you are interested in an overnight tour to the park you can read more about our multi-day option HERE.
Things to Bring:
- Rain gear (waterproof jacket, umbrella, poncho)
- Hiking boots, rain boots or waterproof walking shoes (the use of open-toed shoes is not allowed)
- Extra warm clothing (scarfs, woolen hats, gloves, thick jackets, sweaters)
- Money for lunch/snacks
Species: Spectacled bear, White-tailed Deer, Andean Condor, Flame-winged Parakeet (E), Bogota Rail (E), Green-bearded Helmetcrest (E), Blue-throated Starfrontlet (Ess), Pale-bellied Tapaculo (Ess), Bronze-tailed Thornbill (NE), Coppery-bellied Puffleg (NT), Glowing Puffleg, Pale-naped Brush Finch, Purple-backed Thornbill, Rufous Wren, Streak-throated Bush Tyrant, Scarlet-bellied Mountain Tanager, Sedge Wren, Black Flowerpiercer, Glossy Flowerpiercer, Buff-breasted Mountain Tanager, Black-crested Warbler, Rufous-browed Conebill, Pearled Treerunner, Brown-backed Chat Tyrant, White-throated Tyrannulet, Andean Guan, Black-chested Buzzard Eagle, Andean Teal, Band-tailed Nightjar.
CLICK HERE to see some photos taken during this tour
- Chingaza National Park
- Departure from Pan Pa Ya in Chapinero
- Drive to the town of La Calera (1 hour) where we will make a quick stop for breakfast and/or to pick up snacks for the day
- Drive to park entrance along rural roads (1 hour)
- Registration and introductory talk by park rangers (20 minutes)
- Drive towards the lodge making strategic stops for wildlife viewing and photography (optional 1 hour hike through the páramo)
- Arrival to the lodge and (optional) hike to a viewpoint overlooking the dam (2 hours)
- Lunch (not included) and drive back to Bogotá (3 hours)