Just outside of Bogotá there is a hidden gem that will introduce you to 30+ species found at higher altitudes in the Eastern Andes, including up to 17 different hummingbirds.
Difficulty: The observatory is located at 3000 m.a.s.l where the air is thin. Short, natural walking paths of low difficulty are available on the property.
Duration: The total tour time is 5 hours from start to finish with 3 hours of birdwatching time.
Location: Located about 45 minutes North East of Bogotá near the town of La Calera at 3000 m.a.s.l, surrounded by high Andean cloud forest.
Weather: The average temperature is 14ºC with minimums of 10ºC when it´s cloudy. About 30% of the time we visit here we experience light rain and about 10% of the time we see heavy rain.
Includes: Price includes private transportation, entrances, 3 hours of birdwatching at the hummingbird observatory, access to identification materials & a bilingual guide. Departure is from Pan Pa Ya in Chapinero (Calle 58 # 6-22). For more information on departure you can follow this link to our website.
Things to Bring:
- Rain jacket, water proof poncho or an umbrella
- Comfortable non-slip shoes
- Binoculars and/or photographic equipment (optional)
- Sun protection, cap or hat
- Cash to spend at the gift shop (optional)
Species: Silvery-throated spinetail (E), Rufous-browed conebill (NE), Pale-bellied tapaculo (Ess), Blue-throated Starfrontlet (Ess), Coppery-bellied puffleg (NT), Golden-fronted Redstart, Andean siskin, Glowing puffleg, Scarlet-bellied mountain-tanager, Glossy flowerpiercer, Pale-naped brush-finch, Sword-billed hummingbird, White-bellied woodstar, Great sapphirewing, Green-tailed trainbearer, Black-tailed trainbearer, Eastern meadowlark, White-throated Tyrannulet, Brown-backed chat-tyrant, Red-crested Cotinga, Buff-breasted mountain tanager, Tyrian Metaltail, Mountain Elaenia, Black-crested Warbler, Venezuelan Troupial.
CLICK HERE to see some photos taken during this tour
- La Calera
- Departure from Pan Pa Ya in Chapinero (Calle 58 # 6-22) - morning or afternoon
- Drive up through the eastern mountains to observatory in La Calera (1 hr)
- 3 hours of birdwatching (short trail walks are optional)
- Drive back to Bogotá (1 hr)
- Arrival is to Pan Pa Ya in Chapinero