Just outside of Bogotá there is a hidden gem that will introduce you to +30 species found at higher altitudes in the Eastern Andes, including up to 17 different hummingbirds.
Difficulty: You are not required to have a certain level of physical fitness to participate in this tour. There are short, natural paths on the property that we can use to identify additional species, but these trails are optional. The observatory is located around 3000 m.a.s.l which means the air may be thinner than you are used to.
Location: Located about 45 minutes east of Bogotá near the town of La Calera.
Weather: The average temperature is 12ºC with minimums of 7ºC when it´s cloudy. About 30% of the time we visit here we experience light rain and about 10% of the time we see heavy rain.
Includes: Price includes private transportation, entrances, 3 hours of birdwatching at the hummingbird observatory, refreshment, access to identification materials & a bilingual guide. Departure is from Pan Pa Ya in Chapinero (Calle 58 # 6-22). For more information on departure you can follow this link to our website.
Things to Bring:
- Rain jacket, water proof poncho or an umbrella
- Comfortable non-slip shoes
- Sun protection, cap or hat
- Cash to spend at the gift shop (optional)
CLICK HERE to see some photos taken during this tour
- Departure from Pan Pa Ya in Chapinero
- Drive up through the eastern mountains to observatory in La Calera (1 hr)
- 3 hours of birdwatching (no walking required)
- Drive back to Bogotá (1 hr)
- Arrival is to Pan Pa Ya in Chapinero