Ride your horse around the San Rafael dam up into the high Andes mountains of La Calera. Enjoy a fun ride with spectacular views and sub-páramo forest vegetation.
Difficulty: This trail is 2 hours long and is suitable for all levels of experience as long as you feel comfortable sitting on a horse. The majority of the trail is along a narrow, cobblestone pathway that crosses the mountains through sub-páramo forest. You are expected to gain about 100 meters of altitude during the ride and overcome a few minor boulders.
Note: Riding times are calculated at a horse's walking speed. Trotting with your horse will cut the riding time significantly.
Accessibility: Anybody between the ages of 2 to 80 years can join. We are happy to arrange a customized ride for you should you have limited mobility or visual/hearing impairment.
Duration: The total tour time is 5 hours with 2 hours of horseback riding.
Location: La Calera is a town located about 1 hour from Bogotá across the eastern Andes mountains.
Elevation: Maximum altitude is 2800 m.a.s.l.
Weather: The average temperature in La Calera is similar to that of Bogotá (about 15ºC). We experience light rain 20% of the time and heavy rain only about 10% of the time. We suggest wearing jeans or long pants as well as a sweater or jacket.
Includes: Tour price includes transport, a helmet, insurance, a local snack and horse rental with a local vaquero guide. Departure is from Pan Pa Ya in Chapinero (Calle 58 #6-22). For more information on departure you can follow this link to our website.
Things to Bring:
- Sun protection like a hat or head cap
- Narrow boots or closed toed shoes (hiking boots are not ideal for riding horses)
- Long pants or jeans (no shorts allowed)
- A jacket or a warm sweater
CLICK HERE to see some photos taken during this tour
- La Calera
- Departure from Pan Pa Ya in Chapinero (Calle 58 # 6-22). (morning or afternoon)
- Drive up through the eastern mountains to La Calera (1 hour)
- Meet your local vaquero guide and set up for the ride
- 2 hours of horseback riding through scenic mountain trails
- Try homemade arepas (flatbread consisting of ground maize dough and cheese)
- Drive back to Bogotá (1 hour)
- Arrival is back to Pan Pa Ya in Chapinero (Calle 58 # 6-22).